Skip to main content

The Imitation Game - Review - Spoiler Free - Oscars Countdown

Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode
Director: Morten Tyldum
Genre: Drama
Running time: 112 minutes
Certificate: 12A
UK Release Date: 14th November 2014
Ratings:
                 Acting:      9/10
             Directing:      9/10
                      Plot:     7/10
                Overall:      9/10

This movie is spellbinding. I could leave it there but I guess you are looking for a little more, so we'll dive into the plot. It is based on a true story and tells of the life of Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) famous for his work at Bletchley Park during World War II, as well as his contribution to artificial intelligence and computing. An unusual person, and bonafide genius, his personal and professional lives collide in 1950s Britain.

On the surface this film doesn't look very exciting, in truth I approached it with a little trepidation as it looked very heavy in content, and as if it was made with 'Oscar' in mind. I couldn't have been more wrong. This movie was surprisingly funny in many places, captivating, excellently acted and well directed. I barely have a bad word to say about it for its form. However, there is a slight downside, and that's its accuracy. There has to be a certain responsibility from film makers when dealing with true subjects, and people going to this film with no prior knowledge are likely to believe it as a true portrayal. I am sure there are plenty of people who are completely unfamiliar with Turing's life and some, like myself, who could only claim a smattering of knowledge about Enigma and the Turing Test. The plot of this film is inaccurate. To explain too finely would be a massive spoiler but during the movie there is an accusation of a cover up that did not happen in reality, and this seems a little unforgivable when considering Turing's life.

This said, the film is engaging. Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley are both actors that I have not been a fan of in the past, but I was wrong again, they are both fantastic in their roles. The muted colours of the film reflect the austerity and remoteness of Turing's life, as well as setting the time period with an 'old photograph' feel. The movie cross cuts through time, moving between Turing's childhood, work at Bletchley Park, and later life, and it does so seamlessly and without confusion. Much of the more delicate matters of Turing's life are dealt with tactfully yet without avoidance. Overall I would recommend this movie to just about everyone. I haven't stopped raving about it since I saw it, and it is definitely one of my Oscar favourites for this year. Ignore the drab appearance and go watch it, it is interesting, informative, funny, moving, sad, captivating, inspiring and maddening. That's quite a lot of emotions for 122 minutes, you'll be getting your money's worth.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

I have a confession. I love films. I can't remember a time when films were not a part of my life and it's getting worse. Some might say I'm a geek but I'm sure there are others like me, lurking in the shadows, coveting the latest box-set like the one ring to rule them all. We are a secretive breed, perfectly ordinary looking (most of the time), keeping their love of film under wraps. Ask the next person you see about their latest trip to the cinema and you will spot us; we are the ones whose eyes shine in a slightly manic way as we start to speak excitedly about plot and lighting. Well, I know that there are loads of film blogs out there but I thought it was time to confess and embrace my film nerd status by commenting on and reviewing films, from the latest releases to classic favourites, and delving into the world of film through favourite scenes, fanboy facts and even some more technical and analysis posts for the real film nerd out there. I hope that yo...

Captain Phillips Review - No spoilers

Starring: Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman Director: Paul Greengrass Genre: True story, action, drama Running time: 134 minutes The first thing to mention about Captain Phillips is that it is gripping; the second is that it is long. Now this is something of a personal bugbear. Films are getting increasingly long, and what would have been an entertaining 90 minute film in the 1980s has become an epic of three hours in the present. Enough already, movies are too long. However, the fact that Captain Phillips didn't feel lengthy is a true testament to how well the film has been made. In fact, with this movie the time flew. The engrossing plot was enough to keep everyone on the edge of their seat and the tension could be felt throughout the room. Familiar or not with the actual events, this film is riveting. Based on the true life story surrounding the...

BAFTA 2015 Winners Announced

The celebrities sparkled and the carpet was red. The BAFTA awards took place this evening in fabulous Royal Opera House in London and with many of the nominations echoing the upcoming Oscars so many people are wondering if there is an indication of who will take home a statuette alongside their BAFTA this year. Anyway, there are a few surprises but it's not a shock to see British movie The Theory of Everything having so much success, it's a shame the beautifully shot The Imitation Game didn't take home any gongs. The horror! Enjoy the list of winners while I head off for a celebratory drink or two. Best Film in 2015 Boyhood Dir: Richard Linklater Leading Actor Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything Leading Actress Julianne Moore - Still Alice Outstanding British Film The Theory of Everything Dir: James Marsh Best Supporting Actor J.K Simmons - Whiplash Best Supporting Actress Patricia Arquette - Boyhood Original Screenplay The Grand Budapest...